Today (March 22nd) is world doula day and the start of World Doula Week!
What is World Doula Week?
The purpose of World Doula Week ("WDW") is to empower doulas all over the world to improve the physiological, social, emotional, and psychological health of women, newborns and families in birth and in the postpartum period. The World Doula Week events will take place all over the world during the same week, stating the benefits of the presence of doulas in birth and in the postpartum period:
* Reduces the incidence of c-sections
* May shorten the length of labor
* Reduces epidural and analgesic requests
* Increases breastfeeding initiation and continuation
* Increases mother’s satisfaction of birth experience
* Can reduce the incidence of postpartum mood disorders
* Increases new parents’ confidence in the care of their newborn
When is World Doula Week?
World Doula Week begins with World Doula Day on March 22nd and will go through March 28th annually. March 22 was chosen because it is the spring equinox, which represents the return of fertility in countless cultures.
Miranda is a birth and postpartum doula serving the central Oklahoma area.